Pro-Bono (ie, FREE) Legal Programs for Veterans – legal assistance for veterans master list

I have had to answer this question more than once, so I am going to provide my master list of free (ie, pro bono) legal services for veterans and other similar legal assistance programs for veterans.  If you know of a program that is not on this list, please feel free to email me or comment below so that I may add it to the list and give you credit for the submission!

Master List:  Attorneys and advocates by state

www.attorneys4veterans.com

Click the link above for a list of private attorneys proudly representing and assisting U.S. military veterans and dependents in achieving rightful VA benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs, the United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit under the Veterans’ Judicial Review Act of 1988 and 2006.

____________________________________________

Lawyers Serving Warriors

Lawyers Serving Warriors ®, a project of NVLSP, provides free legal representation.

From their website:

The Lawyers Serving Warriors® program offers pro-bono legal help with disability issues to veterans from all eras. Our current pro bono initiative is to assist veterans with applications for Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC). In the past, the Lawyers Serving Warriors® program assisted veterans who served in Iraq and Afghanistan facing administrative separation, going through a medical evaluation board or physical evaluation board, or pursuing a claim with the VA for disability compensation.

Visit their website by clicking here:

www.lawyersservingwarriors.com

———————————————————————————————–

Stateside Legal  http://statesidelegal.org/

Stateside Legal | Legal help for military members, veterans and their families

Legal assistance for military connected individuals

From their website:

This website is for members of the military, veterans, their families and advocates. Our goal is to help you:

• access benefits
  • find free legal help, and
  • better understand your legal issues

Many websites provide information for military households or veterans.  Here our goal is to index the best legal information available in one easy-to-use site. We have also added our own interactive forms, videos, and legal analysis.

___________________________________________________________________________________

National Veterans Legal Services Program – Veterans Benefits – Medical Health Disability Claims (NVLSP)

About the program:

Legal information and assistance for veterans, survivors of veterans and veterans advocates who are seeking service-related VA benefits – primarily claims for disability compensation.

__________________________________________________________________

Jason Perry

My personal recommendation for anyone needing their rating appealed or needs counsel and representation for their MEB/PEB (basically, anything related to ratings) is Jason Perry. He is a former JAG Attorney who now runs the PEBforum.com website. Here is his contact page: http://www.peblawyer.com/attorney_profile.html. (Please note: Mr. Perry is not advertising as a pro-bono attorney. He is affordable, so if your case is not taken on a pro-bono basis you are still receiving excellent representation at a great value)

www.peblawyer.com

From his website:

I am a former active duty Judge Advocate who served as a Soldiers’ Counsel at the Texas Physical Evaluation Board. In that position, I represented more than 200 Soldiers at formal hearings with impressive results. In addition to representing Soldiers, I was responsible for training new attorneys assigned to the PEB. Prior to that assignment, I served as a Senior Trial Counsel and later as a military magistrate. After I left the Army, I decided to continue to practice in the area of military disability law. I also volunteer pro bono on veteran’s appeals cases.

_____________________________________________________________________

Thomas Roughneen, Esq.

Another private attorney to consider is from www.citizensoldierlaw.com. He reached out to me to share his qualifications and contact information in this post:

Attorney offers help for military and veterans

_____________________________________________________________________

Legal Help for Veterans, PLLC

From their website:

Legal Help for Veterans, PLLC is a law firm located in Michigan. We have a national practice representing veterans from across the country. This representation occurs at the United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims, the Board of Veterans’ Appeals and regional offices. We have helped veterans collect over $10,000,000 in retro and future benefits.

____________________________________________________________________

The Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program

From their website:

The Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program (Pro Bono Program) was created in 1992, with a dual mission: to provide assistance to unrepresented veterans or their family members who have filed appeals at the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (Court); and to recruit and train attorneys in the then fledgling field of veterans’ law.

Each appellant who requests Pro Bono Program assistance receives a thorough review of his or her appeal. An appellant whose case is not accepted by the Program receives substantive legal advice about his or her case and an explanation as to why the Pro Bono Program cannot place the appeal with a volunteer attorney.

_________________________________________________________________

Public Counsel Law Center:  Center for Veterans’ Advancement

From their website:

Public Counsel’s Center for Veterans Advancement (CVA), a national leader in veteran’s advocacy, provides direct representation, or representation through pro bono partners, to veterans and their families.  CVA provides legal representation at both the local and national levels, and coordinates its work with efforts underway to establish special “Veterans’ Courts” in Northern and Southern California designed to meet the unique needs of returning veterans.  CVA also manages legal clinics, including one of the largest pro bono advocacy programs in the United States.

_________________________________________________________________

Veteran Justice Advocate Program (VJAP)

From their website:

Veteran Justice Advocate Program (VJAP) is a non-profit organization established in 2012 by a veteran wanting to make the future different for other veterans. VJAP’s mission is to help U.S. veterans and active service military personnel who find themselves in need of legal assistance. As any veteran will tell you, the civilian world is very different from the military experience, and some transition skills are needed to help ease the veteran from one environment to the other.

In addition to legal representation by attorneys experienced in defending veterans in criminal courts, you will work directly with another veteran who will act as a liaison between the court and Veterans Administration to facilitate proper adherence to orders, treatment, mentoring, and advocacy.

Representatives from Veteran Justice Advocate Program work with the court system as advocates for veterans, and act as a liaison between the court and the veteran. We also facilitate channels of treatment within the VA system in order to properly address the unique veteran issues of PTSD, long deployments, and other service-connected depression and anger. It is becoming more widely recognized that these issues, in many cases, lead to the criminal court system and, even worse, jail or prison time.

VJAP recognizes there is a huge gap in the court system between what our veterans need and what they are getting, and we are working to bridge that gap. We will work with you to help solve your problems by assigning you a mentor/advocate/veteran, in addition to the attorney who will handle your case, to properly advocate course of treatment and court-ordered sentencing with all the respect our fighting men and women deserve.

__________________________________________________________________

Legal Aid Services by State:

__________________________________________________________________

Catholic Legal Assistance Ministry (CLAM)
Catholic Charities Veterans Advocacy Project.

(Another program, though specific to Missouri):

_____________________________________________________________

National Association of Consumer Advocates:

(Not a pro-bono program, though each attorney may take  your case under consideration)

www.naca.net

(Please note, this is not specific to veterans, but a nationwide program for consumer advocacy issues, including military consumer issues.)

From their website:

The National Association of Consumer Advocates is a nationwide organization of more than 1,500 attorneys who represent and have represented hundreds of thousands of consumers victimized by fraudulent, abusive and predatory business practices.

____________________________________________________________________

List of JAG attorneys (Active Duty Only – Veterans are not qualified):

_________________________________________________________________________

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Please scroll down and leave a comment - I love to hear your thoughts!
Dan loves Audible.com - try it free!
1 FREE Audiobook Credit RISK-FREE from Audible.com
This post is brought to you in part by this Google ad:

Comments

1. Vanessa says

It is nice to know that there are people and organizations that are willing to lend our heroes a hand in battling their legal concerns.

2. Kevin says

I am proud to say that my nephew is one of the products of The Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program, learning from them all there is in the veteran’s law. He is now one of their volunteer attorneys.

3. Martin says

I am happy to know that we have lawyers who are there for our veterans. Maybe some of them were former men in uniform so they readily relate to the legal problems a soldier may face.

4. clay harding says

my military pension was terminated 2 years ago. I’ve searched and researched countless military offices and contacted many DFAS reps.I’ve contacted by mail local congessmen. I’ve contacted my former military HR/retirements sergeant. Not one person is able to answer why I no longer receive benefits. Now you know my only option, after 2 years without income, 2 years of depression. Even you won’t be able to locate an answer why I am not in the military’s system!

• says

First off, thank you for your service. I am so sorry you had this happen. How strange!

Were you ever given any correspondence about the terminated pay prior to it ending? What era veteran are you?

Have you contacted any veteran service organizations yet to see if they may be able to help, or any of the legal sources in this post? If it were me, I would contact the Office of the Inspector General to do an investigation. Provide as much evidence as you can in support of your issue.

Let me know which branch you served in and I can get some contact info to the correct IG you’d need to reach.

DFAS is about as helpful as … well, nothing.

Thanks for sharing your situation. I hope this post or my response is helpful in some way. Just let me know the info above and I’ll do my best to help further. You may email me privately if you don’t wish to put it in the comments here. (torrey@torreyshannon.com)

Blessings,
      Torrey

5. says

veteran needs legal help for civil suit against census bureau/wrongful termination,sexual harrassment,due process,mental abuse,stress,retaliation for filing complaint withEEO.Can anyone help me?

6. says

court wants me to get attorneyrep but everyone turns me down because of lenghty timeframe,pro bono programs will not touch this,do you know best option for sucess

7. justin says

Im looking for a custody lawyer i am 70% woth ptsd and tbis my ex rouge has used this for a long time to keep my young son away from from me and I done everything i could try and change thus civily but she just won’t. I just don’t have enough money to hire lawyer can anyone help?

8. says

Hey Torrey, thanks so much for this list, it’s nice to see some helpful resources for veterans. And thank you to your husband for serving as well. Is there a particular program above that you recommend or do they all have their pros?

• says

Thank you for your kind words. To answer your question, they all have their purposes. I like to give choices so I am not recommending one over another, as it is really up to the individual and their needs. I let the reader make that choice.

9. Doug says

Hello Torrey, First I’d like to say thanks for your kind Heart and your advocacy for us Disabled Veterans, however; on the other-hand, I have a complex situation, since being discharged with a Bipolar Disorder characterized as a Personality Disorder, i also had a urinary Tract Infection and speaking of the V.A. Scandal’s the Dr’s never knew that I had this infection since the military, because they were only treating the Bipolar Disorder! The problem has been, (1st) in VA Hospital treated me with Halodol, but i couldn’t tolerate it! Then other anti-psychotic med’s were given at another facility in which the pain was so great that i couldn’t stand it and they let me have a withdrawal seizure and smashed my face in the floor leaving me with very bad Deviated Septum and a sleep apnea machine at nights now, after having this , Dust in a warehouse, blood coming from my nose and Fit’s of Anger and Rage because employer abuse and being Incapacitated, Disoriented and Delirious with a like a Dr. Jakle and Mr. Hyde Split Personality from the pressure on my brain from Inflammation from the Urinary, also Industrial carcinogen’s and that caused my nose to Bleed (at- will) throughout the days on the job until they fired me because i was so delirious that I was not even aware of my own surrounding’s and i was being made fun of, sexually Harassed by those I Worked with and the Manager all of which called me names and made their fun of me, until it was apparent that i was sick from the Dust in the Warehouse where we worked in Horrible Black-Charcoal Dust that would stick to our skin and cloth’s on any given day from a Quarry who were Cited many times for Polluting the Air and a Cement Supply company operating from the quarry back to back as neighbor’s who would go by the company door’s dropping their cement, run over it with their trucks crushing this and the wind would blow this into the warehouse where we worked after having fit’s of Rage and Suffering from my ordeal my wife finally left me after 28yr’s of it!; Because she said that i was not changing!; how could I,I have been extremely sick and Dr’s weren’t helping me either and one Dr. said he wasn’t Repeating Test that the V..A.. had already done!

Before my wife had made her plans to pull out on me, there was a nurse practitioner who finally gave me an Anti-Biotic that helped me somewhat in 2011 and he gave me another prescription that helped me more! After having the urinary Bacterial Infection I also, had the Bipolar Disorder, and then the Carcinogenistic Industrial Black Chalk like Dust that was making me Deathly Sick, and anybody who worked in the Dust long enough to be effected by it! whats more to the story this company had me driving a heavy industrial truck and I was literally running people off the road with these truck’s i was driving like a maniac and i told Mgmt. to take me off the Truck’s before I Killed Somebody or Killed Myself and they did for about a week and then told me that I had to go back to Driving the Truck’s again by this time i was Extremely Delirious and Passing Out from my ordeal that i screwed up on a job and they fired me for it, saying they were firing me because i was habitually Tardy for work in fact i was not able to Function anymore I had become dysfunctional, staggering about and passing out from this pressure on my Brain that was happening to me when i was walking on three (3) story House Roof-Tops because this is what the company distributed and we put the Shingles on roof-top’s for people and this was being housed in the warehouse also and was a very big contributor to the Carcinogenic Dust Combination that we were breathing into our lungs and I had to sleep at night with water by my side to Drink because when I woke up Gasping for Air to Drink a Drink of Water was the only way that I could breath as i coughed up Gob’s of inflammation from my Lung’s at Night’s! but those Dam Dr’s would not help me, “Oh Yeah they’d give me an anti-Biotic for five (5)days or ten (10) but not the one I needed! Therefore, because i was working in this Dust everyday this was not working! When there was a time that I did get the right Anti-Biotic it was useless to me! I told these people who i worked for there seven (7) yrs.that they needed to do something about the this Horrible Black Dust and it was not until it was apparent that I was sick from the Dust that they then began to address the problem but their attempts were to late for me!,

Then after the Boss and Company Manager told me that i was a Homosexual to my face which is so from the Truth and he said with all the guy’s that I worked with in the office that I was a looser! which is far from the Truth again! “I was Dying from Sickness”!, because of my ordeal that they could have prevented but did nothing about it! Then after I had finally seen the congressman’s people at the office here in Frederick Maryland where i live, and told them i was going to file a lawsuit which i still don’t know how to do and can not get any legal help to do it! the Cement Company began to remove the Cement Company Machines and Equipment as a possibility the evidence that I would have needed and they were doing this i believe to avoid a Lawsuit! The problem stands that I have tried to get work comp, I tried to file an (E.E.O.C.) Claim without having any legal help and (E.E.O.C.) down played it saying the Company Denies that they Discriminated against me and i have been fighting this for years without the God Dam worthless Lawyer’s help because their paralegal’s who hold the key to the door would never listen to my complaint’s and kept hanging up the dam phone on me especially during the Recession’s and even more so during the Great Recession which it effect’s everybody’s bottom line even Attorney’s and they won”t help you and pick and choose their Butter and Bread and furthermore during the Recessions’ the Attorney’s work and defend Corporate America because during the Recession’s the Gov’t give’s Corporate America Tax Incentive’s to Bolster Business with and the Attorney’s know this and they know who to turn to for their bread and Butter and because they are not held to any Standard’s with any real Disciplinary action they are Immune to the Legal system in America and they are not required to have any designation on their office door to indicate who they represent as client’s rather they are Employee only Attorney’s (E.O.A.)’s or Attorney’s for Employer’s (A.F.E.)’s they could be setting there listening to someone telling them about their Employer Client who they Rub Elbow’s with and the Employee has no clue who the Attorney would be working for and in my case I have been extremely sick and desperate for help but no one would ever help me now i have no family and the pain is Horrible and those Dam Attorney’s get away with anything under the Umbrella of the Judicial System because there is not a disciplinary system to hold them to Accountability and I’d like nothing more than to file a Lawsuit against these people who have wronged me and taken my Self-Worth,Dignity, and my Health and my best year’s away from me when I tried my best to do my job, even-though I was Dying on that Dam Job even as a Disabled Veteran I was sick but I went out and got myself a job and Worked only to loose everything I have gained in my life, (since the military) and now I am without my wife of (28yr’s.) and my Son also is gone from my life and now i have nothing to live for anymore any wonder that I’ve tried to take my life recently i’m done in this society Torrey! ” done”! after people have finished with me and I don’t know who else to turn to! I only hope that you may know how to get some advocacy group’s to help me and my family maybe this is our only hope I suppose at this point! We have even been Defrauded in the settlement to buy our house that is up for short-sale now that i can’t pay my mortgage anymore i have to sell this house any get an apartment by myself somewhere here in town! God Bless you Torrey for you and for what you do also! I only hope through your writing and advocacy’s you may be able to summon’s someone to help us because i don’t know how to anymore like I said i’m done! By the way I have also Developed and been Diagnosed for Cancer and been treated for it from my sickness also to add to my ordeal from the Dust in the warehouse!

Waiting for your comment’s

Doug

• says

Wow, Doug… you’ve been through quite a lot through the years. I am so sorry. Have you contacted any of the attorneys on this post?

What nonprofits have you contacted so far? And, to confirm, are you a post 9/11 veteran? This makes a difference in where/who I may recommend to help you.

Lastly, if you are not seeking a counselor to help you through these emotionally-charged issues, I recommend http://www.giveanhour.org They provide free counseling with qualified providers. Give them a call.

Hang in there. There is hope, I promise.